Still need to file your tax return? If you filed for a tax extension, there’s good news. You still can.
Sometimes, no matter how hard you try, you just can’t get everything done by the tax deadline. You can always ask for more time to file your taxes… but, don’t wait until the tax extension deadline to get them in.
Tax extensions have become a bit more popular, especially over the last few years. And if you filed a request (tax extension Form 4868) by the tax deadline… you’ve got 6 months to file your return.
Ready to get started and get your return filed before the tax extension deadline? Our expert team can get your filing in order, checked for accuracy, and help you deal with any potential penalties or situations arising from filing an extended return.
Something you need to consider when filing an extension
An extension to file does NOT mean an extension of time to pay. If you’re due a refund, then you can be on your merry way, but if you owe, then taxes must be paid by the normal tax deadline. Otherwise, you can be charged penalties (to the tune of 5% to 25%) plus interest on those penalties.
Myths about tax extensions…
- Extensions do not automatically flag you for audit.
- They do not affect any refund you legitimately have coming.
- They do not give you more time to fatten up your individual retirement account (unless it’s the self-employed kind).
- They do not give you extra time to pay taxes that you owe.
- They’re not hard to get.
Special situations for an extended time to file (and sometimes pay)…
- Taxpayers serving in combat zones (or combat adjacent)
- US citizens and resident aliens living abroad for business or military purposes
- Those living in or providing relief to federal disaster areas
- If you have questions about any of these special situations (or any other tax extension topic) or need help getting started, we’re here for you.
Let Us Help:
Ready to come in for an appointment?
Click here to schedule a time to meet with us. We will NOT make dealing with a tax professional as painful as it’s been in the past!